Instagram

                                                                Follow Instagram

Wednesday 25 November 2015

My wedding makeup- from the point of view of a makeup artist

From my years working as a makeup artist I have done the makeup of hundreds of brides and close to thousands of bridesmaids and finally it was my turn to be the bride instead of the makeup artist! 

I got married 3 months ago and I got to experience from the other end what it was like to have the stress of planning a wedding and more importantly planning my wedding makeup!

It took me a long time to decide if I was going to do my own makeup or if I was going to hire someone to do my makeup. Eventually I came to the decision to have a makeup trial. I knew this was going to be tough because I had never had anyone do my makeup before and of course knowing the tricks of the trade I am extra fussy! I just thought if I didn't have one I would regret it so I got on the case going through my contacts! I booked a makeup trial with a girl who had been recommended to me by a friend. It was a very strange experience to be the client instead of the makeup artist and I actually quite enjoyed it! I told her the look that I was after but whilst she was doing my makeup I made a concious effort not to comment on anything throughout because I understand that everyone works differently and I wanted to let her do her thing to see the end result. I was surprised to see what she had done and I really liked it but it was deffinately not how I would have done my makeup! However, it was so nice for once to be the one sitting in the chair relaxing and letting someone pamper me! Having dealt with fussy clients myself I know that it can be really difficult at times so I made sure I was the perfect client.

After a week of thinking over it and doing a 100 different makeup trials on myself I came to the decision that I was going to do my own makeup. Although she was clearly very talented I felt as though I had better achieved the look I was after. I knew this wouldn't be the same as doing my makeup on a day to day basis because your wedding is the most important day of your life but for me it felt right to do it myself.

I decided to go for a fairly natural and classic bridal look. I go everyday of my life experimenting with heavy makeup, smokey eyes, glitter and glam but for once I wanted to go for a look that wouldn't date. I didn't want to look back at my wedding photos in 10 years time and think OMG what the hell was I thinking! So this is the look I went for:




I decided to keep it simple and natural by using neutral colours and not overdoing my contour or eyes. It was a scorching hot summer day which is so rare in England which I was so grateful for as it meant we got to live our dream of getting married outdoors but it also meant I was literally melting! 

had to slightly adapt my products accordingly when doing my makeup on the day of the wedding as the British weather can be so unreliable so we didn't plan on having such amazing weather! These photos were taken at sunset after the ceremony so as you can see the makeup did withhold the heat!
Products used were:

Face:
Primer- Clarins beauty flash balm (this primer is really cooling for the summer but also keeps my skin looking firm)
Foundation-Estée Lauder double wear. 
Concealer- ysl anti cerne 
Corrector- benefit lemonade 
Highlight- nars albatross
Bronze- Charlotte tilbury bronze and glow
Blush- too faced sweetheart blush
Finishing spray- Urban Decay deslick (had to keep my makeup in tact!)

Eyes:
Eyeshadow- Tom Ford eye quad in Cocoa Mirage
Liner- Mac blacktrack 
Mascara- Diorshow waterproof 
Lashes- Velour Lashes cluster holic
Brows- Anastasia Beverley Hills dipbrow pomade in Blonde

Lips:
Liner- Charlotte tilbury in Pillowtalk
Gloss- Clarins instant light natural lip in Petal Shimmer.

Hope you enjoyed reading my experience  on bridal makeup as a makeup artist.. Here's a couple more snaps of my day! Xxx




6 comments:

  1. The makeup look you did is beyond beautiful! Looks like such a lovely day, your wedding dress is incredible! xo

    Samm | SColvinBeauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much blog lifestyle and Sam xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridal glow up with wedding makeup and i prefer H&M, They made my day, very good knowledge and experience they have, I will surely recommend others. Beauty Salons in Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous and awesome. Perfect look for your big day. Wedding makeup artists in the Philippines, just like you, are good in their craft of bridal makeup. Rea Pinpin is one of the most sought-after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Masterfully done, you hired the right MUA.
    And I see so many aspiring wedding makeup artists in the Philippines that might be able to pull of just that as well

    ReplyDelete